Translate

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Habits and your brain

Have you ever heard of Dr. Alice?  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Roberts) Dr. Alice is an anatomist, osteoarchaeologist, anthropologist and a paleopathologist as well as a TV documentary presenter.  One of the programs I saw was about the brain (human) and the evolution of the brain (human).  One of the topics that interested me was brain patterns or habits.  I'll give an example.  When you meet a stranger right away the brain is trying to come up with some kind of pattern.  Do you know this person?  Do they look like someone you know?  Are they friend or foe?  Once this pattern has been established every time you meet someone one new this is the pathway your brain takes.  Another example is when you hear a song by a new band.  Who do they sound like?  What genre is this music?  It's all about patterns.  This is what I thought of at 6:00 am this morning.  I hate to have to get up at that hour to run.  But I love running.  I have to change my brain pattern.  If I continue to wake up at 6 am and hate it I will always hate it.....but if I wake up at 6 am and think of it as a positive thing then I will always think of it as a positive thing.  This is what I am currently working on.  Let's see what 6 am brings tomorrow.

As far as my run went.....it went really well.  I was able to complete 5K's in 28:42.....speaking of patterns.....it seems that I am consistently getting my 5k's done in under 29 minutes.  With my 15k run only a few days away I am feeling pretty good about it.  I'm doing another 5k's tomorrow and then on Friday I am doing a gentle run with running friends CW and VH around the Brisbane river. 

Also some very good news.....we have added a third to our slowrunners group on the Adidas micoach site.  KelKel10 is our newest member.  Thanks for signing up KelKel10!

If you have anything to add please leave a comment or email me at Slowmanrunning73@gmail.com

I created a group on the miCoach website for all the slowrunners out there. If you are interested in joining the group please sign up on the miCoach site and download the free miCoach app for your smart phone. Here is the link:

http://community-micoach.adidas.com/groups/slowrunning

Calories: 476
Distance: 5k's
weight: 90.9kg (200lbs)

Tracks:
All these things that I've done - The Killers
11th Dimension - Julian Casablancas
Pumpkin soup - Kate Nash
Viva la vida - Coldplay
Boy, oh boy - Streamer Bendy
Creeping out Sara - NOFX
Here comes your man - The Pixies
Fell in love with a girl - The White Stripes
Higher ground - Stevie Wonder

No comments:

Post a Comment