Translate

Sunday, April 21, 2013

The slowrunning man gear post.

I have been asked by a reader of this blog to talk about the gear that I use with my running.  I must admit that I keep it pretty simple.  I live in Brisbane Australia so I never really have to worry about running in the cold.  The coldest I think I have run so far is about 9c which was quite comfortable.  I would never really need to use any winter running gear. 

I'll start from my head down.  I use a baseball cap.  I'm not to particular with the type of caps I use, so I am using one that I got from work.  I try to wear light coloured caps for the tropical sun.  The cap itself breaths pretty well.  I have 3 hats that I rotate.

Adidas is my equipment of choice.  When I played soccer (outdoor and indoor) I always stuck with Adidas football boots.  Now that I am running I am pretty reliant on climacool shirts and shorts.  I use a variety of colours and cuts.  The fabric does exactly what it is supposed to do and keep you cooler by whisking the sweat from your body.  I recommend these shirts for anyone who is going to attempt anything under a half marathon.  I will have to do some research into other gear when it comes to running anything more then a half marathon. 

I use an iPhone 4s to help me record my data via the satellite hookup.  The sad thing about my iPhone 4s is that I've tried to use things like the Adidas speedcell but my phone could not connect and it did not record any data.  This is something that I will look into again once I upgrade my iPhone (my current contract ends in September so I might get the iPhone 5 or wait to see what iPhone comes out next) I will try connecting to the speedcell.  I did not purchase the speedcell but used a friends first and it just didn't connect.  I do have a heart rate sensor that I got for Christmas a few years ago that Adidas no longer sells.  I used to use it quite a bit but I found that it consumed my mind when I was running.  I only use it occasionally to check on my fitness progression.

Shoes.  I use 2 pairs of shoes.  My primary pair is the Adidas Salvation 3.  I've had these shoes for over a year now and I don't mind them at all.  In fact this was my only running shoe until I started to suffer some injuries and this lead me to doing some research into different kid of shoes.  Which lead me to the whole barefoot running revolution. The idea behind it is that adding cushion to our running shoes are making us run in different ways and losing the feel of the road.  I totally believe in this which lead my to buy Nike Free to test out the simulated barefoot running experience.  Since I have bought these shoes I've run just over 300ks and have been completely injury free.  I swap each shoe type after runs.  I never do back to back runs in the same shoe.  I'm hopping to eventually run in nothing but barefoot simulated shoes

Finally I will finish with the miCoach app. Nothing has helped my running like the miCoach app.  I love recording my speed and distance.  I've started a running group via the miCoach app and I love competing against people all over the world.  I used the Nike running app but I never really got into it.  I find the Adidas one much better.

That is about it.  The one piece of gear that I would love to get in the future are some blue-tooth headphones.  I just want to wait for the prices to come down.  If you have anything to add or would like to comment about your own gear please leave a comment below.  Happy running.

No comments:

Post a Comment